By Scarlett King
Social media continues to grow at a rapid rate, and most social networking sites are at the top of their game with record high numbers of active users. Zoodikers’ Scarlett King takes a look at the ever-changing world of social media with 20 ultimate social media statistics that everyone should know.
- There are currently 8 billion global social media users in 2017, equalling 37% global penetration.
- Since 2005, the number of people who use at least one social media platform has significantly risen from 5% to 69%.
- As of October 2017, Facebook reigns as the most popular social network with 2.01 billion monthly active users.
- Incredibly, 22% of the world’s total population uses Facebook.
- 83% of female Internet users are on Facebook, as well as 75% of male Internet users.
- Over 50 million businesses use Facebook Business Pages.
- Almost 80% of the total time spent on social media platforms happens on mobile.
- Engagement on Twitter is 18% higher on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Approximately 81% of millennials check Twitter at least once per day.
- A whopping 86% of Twitter users say they use the site for reading the news.
- Tweets with images can increase click-through by a huge 18%.
- Tweets with one hashtag are 69% more likely to be retweeted than those with two.
- Instagram has the highest engagement per follower rate of any of the major social networks at 2.3 per cent (84 times more than Twitter, 54 times more than Pinterest and 10 times more than Facebook).
- 32% of teenagers believe Instagram to be the most important social network.
- The majority of Instagram users are between 18-29 years old.
- 98% of LinkedIn posts with images receive more comments than text-only posts, and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate.
- On any given day, Snapchat reaches 41% of 18 to 34-year-olds in the U.S.
- LinkedIn currently boasts more than 450 million user profiles.
- 56% of LinkedIn users are men and 44% are women.
- Over 400 million snaps are shared on Snapchat per day, and almost 9,000 photos are shared every second.
The most important social media knowledge to take away from these statistics is that it’s essential for your brand and business to invest in an effective social media marketing strategy – if you haven’t already!
Ensure to take cues from your audience as far as what they like to see and what they like to interact with, as we can see how this differs for each platform (third party apps are available for in-depth social media analytics, such as SimplyMeasured and Cyfe). But if you only take one thing away from these statistics, it’s that you can’t ignore social media in your marketing plan. As all social media platforms continue to grow, so should your social marketing strategy. This will allow your business or product to effectively connect and engage with your target audience. Don’t forget to keep these numbers in mind as you create your social media plan for 2018!
Need help with your social strategy? Get in touch with the team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or give us call on 01892 520123.