By Katie Pearlgood
If 2017 taught us anything, it’s that we are being driven more and more by visual content. Nowadays, the majority of the information we consume and engage with is communicated through videos online. Statistics show that 10 billion videos are being watched on Snapchat per day and a huge 100 million hours of videos are watched on Facebook every day.
However, this is only the beginning; a fourfold increase in Internet video traffic is predicted between 2016 and 2021.
Creating engaging videos to put out on your social media channels is a great way to strengthen your brand image; it has even been claimed that a 1-minute video has the power to equal 1.8 million words. However, knowing how to ‘pull off’ a compelling video whilst also fulfilling your business objectives can be a tricky task.
Zoodikers’ Katie Pearlgood has composed 5 important tips to help you execute a successful video to post on social media:
- Consider your content – What do you want to achieve by making a video? What are your motives? Are they to excite, motivate or inform? Your video should be part of a larger marketing strategy and have a clear mission. Dove’s Choose Beautiful video marketing campaign is a good example of this. By focusing less on products and more on people’s emotions, the Dove brand was able to get more and more people talking about them, so much so that the video has now reached over 8.7m views on YouTube.
- Take note of the length – Keep videos short and sweet; Twitter video posts are capped at 30 seconds, Instagram at 60 seconds and Snapchat 10 seconds. Don’t forget to optimise your video length for your audience – a Snapchat user won’t want to swipe through lots of 10-second videos to understand your message. Clear-cut editing can help you achieve your objectives in a more precise way. Conversely, if your intention is to create a longer piece of informative content, Facebook is a good place to post. It all depends on your purpose (see point 1).
- Create striking visuals – You don’t need to have the most up-to-date tech savvy camera on the market to create a compelling video. Some of the most intriguing videos have been made on smartphones and there is an abundance of apps to help you achieve the ‘studio’ feel. Check out apps such as: iMovie, Splice and Magisto.
- Consider using VR and Augmented reality – If you want to advance your video further, try out virtual reality to give your audience a premium viewing experience. This works really well if your sole purpose is to promote a product. Last year Mercedes created a visually effective marketing campaign revolving a 360° driving experience. During the drive, viewers could get sneak peaks into the interior of the car, the navigation and even a view from the cars sunroof.
- Go Live – A popular new social media trend is to create videos in real-time. Instagram Stories is a particularly good platform for businesses to share inside knowledge about their brand and invite people to interact with them. For example, you can add a link to your website by inviting users to ‘swipe up’. It has also recently included a new ‘polling’ feature that you can add to videos. This is important as it allows brands to gain important market research and in turn, engage with their audience in an organic way. If you’re looking to create a more authentic and raw live video, Snapchat is your place to go. To create a compelling video for Snapchat, make sure your first video catches your audience’s attention; over 22% of viewers drop off after one Snap. Adding text to your Snapchat video can also be effective in communicating a message to your audience, after all, it is the text that gives visual content meaning.
For inspiration, take a look at an example of a marketing video campaign the Zoodikers team created for BritPong – the UK’s official beer pong championship here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZbDDPpP9Zg
If you need help with video marketing or your social media strategy, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the team by emailing email@example.com or give us call on 01892 520123.